The recent sharp sell-off in tech stocks is not the backdrop for a takeover frenzy. But improving valuations could eventually tempt tech giants to pounce on weakened prey.
A correction in global tech stocks is long overdue. The Nasdaq Composite Index shed almost 3% this week as institutions reduced positions in tech stocks and as sentiment towards sector stars, such as Facebook, waned.
Electric-vehicle maker Tesla Inc, a target of short sellers, lost almost 8% at one stage. Amazon and Netflix were down almost 5% and Microsoft and Facebook lost almost 3%. These are significant falls for stocks that led the global equities rally.
- A rough first quarter, but it’s always darkest before the dawn
- Trade fears put pressure on portfolios
- Professional’s Pick – 3P Learning (ASX: 3PL)
- SMSFs and your retirement horizon
- Buy, Hold, Sell – what the brokers say
- Question of the Week