International investing and oil price optimism

Print This Post A A A

Question: I manage my share investments through ETrade and would like to invest in iShares Global Energy ETF (IXC ) how do I do this? What are the tax implications in investing in international ETFs?

Answer (By Paul Rickard): You need to open an international share trading account. ETrade offers this service.

As far as the Australian Tax Office is concerned, any income you make, or capital gains you receive, are classified as assessable income. Against this, you may also be subject to taxation from the US Dept of Inland Revenue. Should US taxes be levied, under a double taxation treaty with the US, the ATO will recognize any US taxes paid.

Also from this edition