Questions of the Week – investing in China

Print This Post A A A

Question: As I am interested in Chinese companies as an investment, could you please advise how an Australian investor can access Chinese companies? Could this be achieved via exchange traded funds (ETFs), and given that these would probably not have launched yet, is it a case of waiting until ETF providers advertise the launch of a China A Shares product?

Answer (By Paul Rickard): You cannot buy A Shares unless you are a qualified foreign institution. You can buy H shares – which are issued by Chinese companies and trade on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Some Chinese large cap stocks have both A and H shares.

Buying H shares is pretty easy – major brokers such as CommSec or nabtrade offer an online service.

Take a free trial or log in to continue reading

Also from this edition