Hopefully your Binding Death Benefit Nomination (BDBN) is robust and would survive any sort of challenge.
The outcome of a recent Victorian Supreme Court case provides an excellent example of how effective these documents can be, but also how your estate can be destroyed by warring heirs and successors.
Some background facts
Maxwell Morris died in late February 2010. At the time of his death, Morris was married to Patricia Morris, his second wife. They were the only trustees and members of the Morris Family Superannuation Fund, a self managed super fund, which had been established in August 2005. There were no other members or trustees of this fund.
- Picks for 2014 part 2 – three large-cap calls
- Six mythbusters for 2014
- A new pharma to have faith in – innate immunotherapeutics
- Measuring the shonks – or how to value a company
- Short ‘n’ Sweet – Aussie dollar and property
- Buy, Sell, Hold – what the brokers say